February 5th, 2015
So you’ve just checked in at the front desk and are heading to your room. Do you know what to do to make sure your room is safe once you get there? Follow these tips for checking out your hotel room once you get there.
Security Tips for Your Hotel Room
- First things first, check the lock. Make sure it functions correctly both from the inside and outside of the door. Check the tumbler and the deadbolt.
- Check the closets and bathrooms to make sure no one is in there. This might seem like overkill, but you really can’t be too careful.
- Check the locks on the rest of the doors and windows in your room next. This is especially important if you’re in a ground floor room, as a thief could enter your room through an unlocked window. If there’s a door to an adjoining room, check the lock on this door too.
- Read the information on the phone and make sure you know how to make a call out.
- Test the hotel’s front desk by calling them on the phone. This does two things. First, it verifies the phone works. Second, you can use it to test the security at the desk. Call the desk and ask for yourself, saying you don’t know what your room number is. The desk should not say what room you’re in. Instead they should say, “I’ll connect you.” If they give your room number over the phone, ask for a new room.
- Look for fire safety information in the room. There should be a map on the door that gives directions to the nearest exit. Read this map and then walk to the exit yourself to make sure you know where to go in the event of a fire.
- Do not leave your key in the lock. In some locks, the key can be pushed out from the outside with a pin. The thief slides a newspaper under the door to catch the key and then slides it back out to get the key.
- Whenever you’re in your room, use your Travelers Security Lock. Hotel door locks can be picked. Even electronic locks are vulnerable to someone with the right equipment. Travelers Security Lock is a highly secure method of protecting yourself while you’re in your hotel room.
About Travelers Security Lock
Travelers Security Lock is designed to be used by anyone who needs added security, whether at home or on the go. This is the only portable lock that is strong enough to successfully secure a door to the frame and prevent entry. It can be installed and removed in seconds and easily transported anywhere. For security and peace of mind that can’t be matched, Travelers Security Lock is your solution. Follow us on our blog as well as on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.
Tags:hotel room safety
Posted in Hotel Safety